Bon Odori Dahlia - A unique masterpeice!
This beautiful Anemone type Dahlia has one-of-a-kind 10cm blooms - centres of creamy white florets, encircled with white guard petals streaked with red that reflex backward.
Lovely as a border plant, and fantastic in bouquets to add a bit of pizzazz!
Their natural low growing, shrub like appearance makes them perfect for garden borders and in pots around the patio.
Flowering 40-50cm high they are easy to grow and are a great variety for the borders and front planting in your Summer garden
- The best time to plant Dahlias here in NZ is September or October, but can be planted anytime from mid August through to late December.
- Dahlias love sun ,so choose a nice sunny spot in your garden. Ideally a spot that gets at least 4 hours of full sun a day.
- Dahlias will grow in almost any soil, but prefer well drained loamy soil conditions.
- Prepare the ground a few weeks before planting by digging over the soil thoroughly and adding a little well rotted compost and an application of general fertiliser.
- Before planting the tubers, apply stakes (for larger varieties) staking after planting damages roots and tubers.
- Plant your Dahlia tubers about 5-10cm deep and about 50cm apart with the eye facing upwards. Water well and keep moist being careful not to over-water.
For a full overview of how to plant Dahlias visit our Gardeners Guide.