Hollyhill Cotton Candy
A stunning rose pink Dahlia - Dahlia Hollyhill Cotton Candy is a gorgeous new introduction.
The cactus flowers are incurved, as the flowers age they begin to swirl giving extra depth and interest. The flowers are held on long strong stems perfect for cutting.
Flower size: 10-12cm
Cactus Dahlia’s are well valued for their large spiky florets. Flowering up to 120 cm tall they are very easy to grow and provide a rewarding display with very little effort. Plant the tubers with the main growing tips just below the surface of the soil. Firm the soil around the tubers, being careful not to damage them.
Some taller varieties may need staking and an occasional spray with a fungicide is beneficial to control powdery mildew. To prolong the flowering, pluck off old flowers. This encourages further flowering
- The best time to plant Dahlias here in NZ is September or October, but can be planted anytime from mid August through to late December.
- Dahlias love sun ,so choose a nice sunny spot in your garden. Ideally a spot that gets at least 4 hours of full sun a day.
- Dahlias will grow in almost any soil, but prefer well drained loamy soil conditions.
- Prepare the ground a few weeks before planting by digging over the soil thoroughly and adding a little well rotted compost and an application of general fertiliser.
- Before planting the tubers, apply stakes (for larger varieties) staking after planting damages roots and tubers.
- Plant your Dahlia tubers about 5-10cm deep and about 50cm apart with the eye facing upwards. Water well and keep moist being careful not to over-water.
For a full overview of how to plant Dahlias visit our Gardeners Guide.