Dahlia Dinner Plate
This absolute Beauty most certainly has the X-Factor! Huge Dinnerplate sized blooms will sit proudly atop the strong stems all summer long.
Deep, velvety red petals are adorned with bright white tips... very eye catching.
Whopping 22-28cm blooms!
Xfactor Dahlias aren't as tall as some of the other Dinnerplate varieties, flowering to a height of around 90cm.
- The best time to plant Dahlias here in NZ is September or October, but can be planted anytime from mid August through to late December.
- Dahlias love sun ,so choose a nice sunny spot in your garden. Ideally a spot that gets at least 4 hours of full sun a day.
- Dahlias will grow in almost any soil, but prefer well drained loamy soil conditions.
- Prepare the ground a few weeks before planting by digging over the soil thoroughly and adding a little well rotted compost and an application of general fertiliser.
- Before planting the tubers, apply stakes (for larger varieties) staking after planting damages roots and tubers.
- Plant your Dahlia tubers about 5-10cm deep and about 50cm apart with the eye facing upwards. Water well and keep moist being careful not to over-water.
For a full overview of how to plant Dahlias visit our Gardeners Guide.