Dahlia Dinner Plate
Kelvin Floodlight Dahlias are probably our largest and most impressive! their huge 25-35cm blooms are an incredible sight.
Very strong stems hold these sunny bright, yellow blooms up proud - as large as they are, they aren't very top heavy, so can surprisingly hold themselves up well.
Kelvin Floodlight Dinnerplate Dahlias produce masses of flowers.
- The best time to plant Dahlias here in NZ is September or October, but can be planted anytime from mid August through to late December.
- Dahlias love sun ,so choose a nice sunny spot in your garden. Ideally a spot that gets at least 4 hours of full sun a day.
- Dahlias will grow in almost any soil, but prefer well drained loamy soil conditions.
- Prepare the ground a few weeks before planting by digging over the soil thoroughly and adding a little well rotted compost and an application of general fertiliser.
- Before planting the tubers, apply stakes (for larger varieties) staking after planting damages roots and tubers.
- Plant your Dahlia tubers about 5-10cm deep and about 50cm apart with the eye facing upwards. Water well and keep moist being careful not to over-water.
For a full overview of how to plant Dahlias visit our Gardeners Guide.