Dahlia Dinner Plate
Cafe au Lait
Our most popular variety - the multi award winning Cafe au lait Dahlia is a real showstopper, and has quickly become the go-to bridal flower.
Huge 20-25cm blooms sit proudly atop a sturdy 90-120cm tall plant.
IMPORTANT: LIMIT of 5 per person! Unfortunately due to huge demand, we are only able to offer a maximum of 5 per person (sorry!). If you order over 5, we will have to cancel and refund the additional Tubers.
Flowering up to 120 cm tall they are very easy to grow and provide a rewarding display with very little effort. Plant the tubers with the main growing tips just below the surface of the soil. Firm the soil around the tubers, being careful not to damage them.
- The best time to plant Dahlias here in NZ is September or October, but can be planted anytime from mid August through to late December.
- Dahlias love sun ,so choose a nice sunny spot in your garden. Ideally a spot that gets at least 4 hours of full sun a day.
- Dahlias will grow in almost any soil, but prefer well drained loamy soil conditions.
- Prepare the ground a few weeks before planting by digging over the soil thoroughly and adding a little well rotted compost and an application of general fertiliser.
- Before planting the tubers, apply stakes (for larger varieties) staking after planting damages roots and tubers.
- Plant your Dahlia tubers about 5-10cm deep and about 50cm apart with the eye facing upwards. Water well and keep moist being careful not to over-water.
For a full overview of how to plant Dahlias visit our Gardeners Guide.