Dahlia Dinner Plate
Bilbao is an amazing Dinner Plate Dahlia variety with giant yellow flowers that really shine during the summer months.
Perfect for a garden border or patio containers the huge flower heads make this variety exceptional for cut flowers for the vase
- The best time to plant Dahlias here in NZ is September or October, but can be planted anytime from mid August through to late December.
- Dahlias love sun ,so choose a nice sunny spot in your garden. Ideally a spot that gets at least 4 hours of full sun a day.
- Dahlias will grow in almost any soil, but prefer well drained loamy soil conditions.
- Prepare the ground a few weeks before planting by digging over the soil thoroughly and adding a little well rotted compost and an application of general fertiliser.
- Before planting the tubers, apply stakes (for larger varieties) staking after planting damages roots and tubers.
- Plant your Dahlia tubers about 5-10cm deep and about 50cm apart with the eye facing upwards. Water well and keep moist being careful not to over-water.
For a full overview of how to plant Dahlias visit our Gardeners Guide.