Dahlia Dinner Plate
You'll go mad for this award-winning beauty! Bright orange blooms blend wonderfully with hints of salmon, gold and pinks.
The flowers are massive and long lasting in bouquets or cut flower arrangements.
Dinner Plate Dahlias, as the name suggests, have absolutely huge blooms, reaching dinner plate size! Real head turners for your Summer Garden.
These stunners will grow up to 1.2m in height.
- The best time to plant Dahlias here in NZ is September or October, but can be planted anytime from mid August through to late December.
- Dahlias love sun ,so choose a nice sunny spot in your garden. Ideally a spot that gets at least 4 hours of full sun a day.
- Dahlias will grow in almost any soil, but prefer well drained loamy soil conditions.
- Prepare the ground a few weeks before planting by digging over the soil thoroughly and adding a little well rotted compost and an application of general fertiliser.
- Before planting the tubers, apply stakes (for larger varieties) staking after planting damages roots and tubers.
- Plant your Dahlia tubers about 5-10cm deep and about 50cm apart with the eye facing upwards. Water well and keep moist being careful not to over-water.
For a full overview of how to plant Dahlias visit our Gardeners Guide.