Pom Pom Mix
A beautiful selection of Pompom Dahlias - one of our more popular mixes.
Pom Pom Mixed Dahlia’s provide dainty compact flowers with rounded florets. Flowering up to 80 cm tall they are very easy to grow and provide a riot of color each Summer . Plant the tubers with the main growing tips just below the surface of the soil. Firm the soil around the tubers, being careful not to damage them.
Some taller varieties may need staking and an occasional spray with a fungicide is beneficial to control powdery mildew. To prolong the flowering, pluck off old flowers. This encourages further flowering. Cut back spent foliage to ground level each Autumn.
- The best time to plant Dahlias here in NZ is September or October, but can be planted anytime from mid August through to late December.
- Dahlias love sun ,so choose a nice sunny spot in your garden. Ideally a spot that gets at least 4 hours of full sun a day.
- Dahlias will grow in almost any soil, but prefer well drained loamy soil conditions.
- Prepare the ground a few weeks before planting by digging over the soil thoroughly and adding a little well rotted compost and an application of general fertiliser.
- Before planting the tubers, apply stakes (for larger varieties) staking after planting damages roots and tubers.
- Plant your Dahlia tubers about 5-10cm deep and about 50cm apart with the eye facing upwards. Water well and keep moist being careful not to over-water.
For a full overview of how to plant Dahlias visit our Gardeners Guide.