Dahlia Dinner Plate
Penhill Dark Monarch
A delicious mix of dusty pink to purple lilac in this Café au Lait styled stunner - Huge 25cm to 30cm blooms, and it's impressive 1.4m height, make this a showstopper!
A real head turner in the garden or tumbling from a vase.
This incredible variety produces an abundance of huge, ruffled flowers on long, strong stems.... perfect for adding that special touch to bouquets
- The best time to plant Dahlias here in NZ is September or October, but can be planted anytime from mid August through to late December.
- Dahlias love sun ,so choose a nice sunny spot in your garden. Ideally a spot that gets at least 4 hours of full sun a day.
- Dahlias will grow in almost any soil, but prefer well drained loamy soil conditions.
- Prepare the ground a few weeks before planting by digging over the soil thoroughly and adding a little well rotted compost and an application of general fertiliser.
- Before planting the tubers, apply stakes (for larger varieties) staking after planting damages roots and tubers.
- Plant your Dahlia tubers about 5-10cm deep and about 50cm apart with the eye facing upwards. Water well and keep moist being careful not to over-water.
For a full overview of how to plant Dahlias visit our Gardeners Guide.