Tried and true clonal hybrid
Very early spear emergence
All green, smooth, tight-tipped, medium spear diameter.
Fantastic health benefits:
- High in flavonoid and polyphenol content
- Significantly higher in rutin content than other tested varieties with the highest concentration being in spear tips
- Good growth inhibitor of colorectal cancer cells
It is also resistant to rust, fusarium, and crown and root rot.
It produces medium to large (17cm - 23cm)
It typically produces for 10-15 years.
Asparagus are true perennials and are almost everlasting in the garden - lasting well over 20 years!
Asparagus Crowns can be planted anytime from early August through to late November, and will reward you with deliciousness for years to come!
Asparagus Planting instructions:
- Select a nice and sunny permanent position, ensuring that all grass, roots, and Oxalis etc are completely removed... we don't want the Asparagus to be competing with weeds.
- It's important that the bed be raised 10-12cm above the surrounding garden to ensure good drainage.
- Prior to planting, work in some compost, well rotted manure, or a good dressing of blood and bone fertilizer.
- To plant the crowns, open up a 15 cm wide trench 7-8 cm deep and place crowns 45 cm a part with roots spread out in star fashion. Replace the soil covering the crowns. Keep your rows 60-80 cm a part.
For a full overview of how to plant Asparagus visit our Gardeners Guide.