The beautiful Spider Lily (Hymenocallis) displays spectacular trumpet-shaped flowers that produce a delicate, slightly sweet fragrance. Its height of 60 to 80 centimetres adds a delightful sense of purity to the garden.
Native to Peru, they are often referred to as the "Peruvian Daffodil"
Hymenocallis Bulbs should be planted in late Spring, but can be planted right through to the end of the year.
- Hymenocallis Bulbs prefer to be planted in full sun or part shade, and require moist, yet free draining soil.
- Dig down to a depth of at least 20cm, and mix in some Bulb fert (or general purpose fertilizer will do the trick)
- Each plant has a spread of around 20cm, so it's important not to plant them too close together.
- When planting your Bulbs, leave the necks slightly above the surface of the soil.
- Give them a decent watering to kickstart them, and continue to do so around once a week if there is a lack of rain (the soil should be lightly moist).
- We recommend a side dressing of fertilizer a couple of Months after planting (this will help them bloom to perfection)
Every 5 years or so, it's a good idea to dig your Bulbs out and separate the clumps - Hymenocallis don't tend to like being overcrowded, so by doing this you will ensure plenty of flowers year in, year out! (this should be done in early Spring)